- Ceiling fans can be used along with air conditioning. This allows for higher temperatures than regular comfort.
- Sizing of air conditioning system is very important and has to be proportional to space and people requirements. There are many instances where a window unit performs the function, and so the central AC is oversized. Replacement of an existing central system may be energy efficient in certain cases.
- Usage of electronic programmable thermostats, and reduction in the heat generation from lighting through usage of compact fluorescent bulbs can reduce the air conditioning's load.
- Extruded polystyrene insulation, shading from trees, fewer hardscapes, green roofs, and locating condensers in a shaded area can help to reduce the demand for energy.
- The solar heat gain coefficient and U-value of window glazing is important for reducing cooling loads.
- Evaporative cooling and heat recovery are other energy efficient strategies that could be evaluated.
- Keeping the condensing coil clean, will ensure the unit if running at maximum efficiency.
- Seal house with caulk and weatherstripping in appropriate areas.
Friday, September 7, 2012
Summer may be just about over, but it’s not to late to measures to lower your AC usage, while maintaining your level of comfort.
Here are some ideas on how to save energy and cut your utility bills with air conditioning.
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
· Textured coatings
The amount of asbestos contained within these products varies. Some products are made up of only 1 or 2 percent asbestos, while certain cement products contained as much as 50 percent asbestos. However, any amount of asbestos can pose a health risk if the fibers become friable.
Contact a Home Inspector
In general, homeowners cannot visually identify asbestos within their home. They may be able to see a few loose asbestos strands in certain chipped, cracked or crumbling products, but it is much more common for the fibers to remain fully contained within the material. This actually benefits the homeowner because the asbestos is not a health hazard when it is completely contained within the product. However, it also means that homeowners will need to hire a home inspection company or an asbestos abatement professional to test their residence for asbestos.