What causes CO to build up? Carbon monoxide is a gas produced by common fuel-burning sources such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces, stoves, alternative power sources and cars. That's why it's so important to get your fuel-burning appliances checked each year. Never use your oven to heat your home. Never leave your car running in an attached garage. All of these sources of CO need to be well vented. Heating sources should be checked each year to ensure they are in proper working order. All homes should have a CO alarm as well.
Tips to avoid CO Poisoning:
- Have a professional check heating systems, chimneys, flues and vents once a year.
- If buying a new home, have your home inspector check all heat sources for leaks.
- Use carbon monoxide detectors.
- When using other heat sources, follow manufacturers instructions.
- If you are feeling symptoms of CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately, and call 911 if needed.
For more information on carbon monoxide, visit the EPA website, and the Carbon Monoxide Headquarters.